Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day 2009

Danny and I have never really celebrated Valentine's Day to a great extent. I kinda think it's a stupid, retail-inspired holiday, and I don't think there's a guy out there that would mind having an excuse to get out of the whole thing. Danny and I believe that you shouldn't just take one day a year to be romantic and sweet to your significant other. It's something we strive to do daily. We don't always get it right, but we try.

This Valentine's Day has been a little different for me, though. I am starting to put on weight and feel like a huge heifer, and last night it was just a nice to get some flowers and go out on the town. My husband has been amazing since I've been pregnant; telling me how sexy I am and how much he loves me. But I can't help but feel a little icky when I can't button up my pants or my shirt won't fit over my belly. So this year I appreciate having this holiday to really celebrate the love Danny and I share. For one day, we've just been able to concentrate on each other. (And it's the last Valentine's Day we'll have with just the two of us, so we're trying to soak it all up).

I hope everyone has had a great day today! Love is amazing when you find it with someone who is as awesome as Danny!! Love ya, honey!! xoxo


Little History lesson:
Emperor Claudius II ordered all Romans to worship twelve gods, and he made it a crime punishable by death to associate with Christians. Valentinus was a dedicated Christian and continued practicing his beliefs. He was arrested and imprisoned. The jailer noticed that Valentinus was an educated man so he brought his blind daughter, Julia to him so he could tutor and teach her. Valentinus taught her stories of Rome’s history, he taught her about nature, arithmetic and told her about God. One day, Julius asked if God hears our prayers. “Yes, my child, He hears each one,” he replied. Julia expressed her belief that God could heal her blindness. Julia received her sight that day in the prison cell as they knelt and prayed. On the eve of his death, Valentinus wrote a last note to Julia, urging her to stay close to God, and he signed it “from your Valentine.” His sentence was carried out the next day, February 14, 270 A.D. near a gate that was later named Porta Valentini in his memory. He was buried at what is now the Church of Praxedes in Rome. It is said that Julia herself planted a pink-blossomed almond tree near his grave. Today, the almond tree remains a symbol of abiding love and friendship. On each February 14, St. Valentine’s Day, messages of affection, love and devotion are exchanged around the world.
(quoted from http://destinychristian.com/wordpress/?p=726)

0 comments: